The Public Finance Practice at MWH Law Group provides cost-effective, comprehensive legal services for all facets of municipal bond issuances.
Our attorneys have experience handling taxable and tax-exempt deals of any size, including general obligation, enterprise, tax increment financing, and special purpose municipal bonds. Whether to finance major projects or refund obligations, our attorneys are adept at assisting public entities, nonprofits, public-private partnerships, trustees, underwriters, credit providers, and other parties through each phase of the financing process, from negotiation and due diligence to issuance and continuing disclosure.
Whether representing issuers, underwriters, trustees, or financial institutions, MWH Law Group adheres to the highest standard of efficiency and thoroughness.
Our services include drafting and reviewing bond purchase agreements, memoranda, official statements, disclosure documents, and legal opinion letters. We advise our clients on questions that arise during the issuance process, and assist with covenant requirements and regulatory compliance. We also address related concerns, such as site acquisition, enhancements, zoning, and permitting.
Scope of Services
Our attorneys work with a range of issuer and obligor entities, including:
- Municipalities and state governments
- Health and hospital authorities and entities
- Housing and development authorities
- Ports, airports, and transportation authorities
- Economic incentive zone and civic development authorities
- School districts and universities
- Public-private partnerships
Our attorneys have experience with a range of public finance securities, including bonds, notes, certificates, variable-rate securities, and revolving facilities. Between 2020 and 2023, MWH handled $11.4 billion in municipal bond work.
Recent Representative Matters
- Special counsel to bond counsel for various State of Wisconsin general obligation bond issues totaling $3.8 billion.
- Co-bond counsel for $384.3 million in general obligation sewerage system bonds and notes issued by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, Wisconsin.
- Co-underwriter’s counsel for $715.9 million general obligation refunding bonds issued by the State of Connecticut.
- Underwriter’s counsel for $28.8 million in multifamily revenue bonds issued by the Illinois Housing Development Authority in 2023 for the Autumn Ridge housing development.
- Co-underwriter’s counsel for $165.4 million in revenue bonds issued by the Wisconsin Health and Educational Facilities Authority for the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Co-underwriter’s counsel for $689.4 million in Massachusetts Commonwealth Transportation Fund sustainability revenue bonds for its rail enhancement program.
- Co-bond counsel for $47.5 million in student fee bonds for the Ball State University Board of Trustees.
- Special counsel for $685.8 million first and second lien wastewater utility refunding revenue bonds issued by the Indiana Finance Authority for the CWA Authority Project.
- Co-bond and co-disclosure counsel for $14.4 million in general obligation refunding bonds issued for the Racine Unified School District, Wisconsin.
- Disclosure counsel for $444.4 million in senior and junior dedicated tax revenue bonds issued by the Wisconsin Center District for a convention center expansion.
MWH Law Group is a Minority-Owned Law Firm
Our law firm is a certified minority-owned business enterprise (MBE) under New York State law. Dollars budgeted and spent on legal services from an NYS-certified MBE law firm count as part of the MBE spend compliance plan. We have been certified as such since February 22, 2017.
Key Personnel: Emery K. Harlan, Kerrie M. Murphy
NAICS Code: 541110 Office of Lawyers
SIC Code: 8111 Legal Services
NIGP Code: 961-49 Legal Services, Attorneys