Practicing privacy law is kind of like reading tea leaves. It’s a great fit for my strategic, big-picture way of thinking.
Kerry looks for client-centered, win-win solutions for all sides of an issue and will work until an acceptable resolution is found.
Kerry has been practicing privacy law her entire legal career, and she likes it that way. While others may have gotten into privacy because they had a problem dropped in their laps, Kerry enjoys being a privacy attorney because it is a great fit for her strategic, big-picture way of thinking and because every day for her is different, just like every client is different.
For 20 years, Kerry has been advising clients on privacy and information governance. She regularly advises her non-profit and for-profit clients on ways to safeguard their valuable company information and prevent breaches, litigation, and financial exposure. Should a client experience issues, she has successfully led organizations through incident response and data breach beginning at the earliest stages, including investigation, public notification, regulator notification, and litigation. Kerry has a great deal of regulatory practice experience as well, including federal and state rulemaking and legislative activity and reversal of regulatory audit findings and the resulting proposed liability.
Kerry initially did not set out to become a privacy attorney. She began her career as a vocal music education major before leaving school to join the Air Force and become a Korean linguist. She used that experience to earn her undergraduate degree in international affairs and political science, then found her way to law school. A lifelong learner, Kerry continues to study languages and sing in her downtime, while providing CLE classes on privacy, information protection, and information governance. She also participates on the planning committee for the annual Minnesota CLE Midwest Legal Conference on Privacy and Data Security.
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certified Information Privacy Manager, 2015
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certified Information Privacy Professional, 2010
- MinnCLE Annual Legal Conference on Privacy and Cybersecurity Law, Planning Committee Member
- State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel, IT, Privacy, & E-Commerce Network, Past Chair
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Twin Cities Chapter, Member
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Compliance and Ethics and Information Governance Networks, Former Member